Monday, January 10, 2011

Just a SAHM.

I have heard this a lot. People ask what you do for a living and the reponse is "I just stay home with the kids".

PS...for those who aren't familiar with the abbreviation SAHM=Stay At Home Mom

Ok...back to the point. I have been guilty of saying it too. "Just a stay at home mom". But the fact is, there is nothing "just" about it! My work days run from 12am to...12 am. I am always "on duty". There isn't a lunch hour, and no 15 minute breaks. I used to be on the computer messing around on facebook or whatever more...I used my nursing time with Eli to get on and dink around. But now that he is weaned I really am only able to get on a few minute while they are all eating meals or snacks. So anyway, for those who think I am "just a stay at home mom" here is what my day looks like!

up at 6:30-7 to shower as fast as I possibly can before Eli wakes up
Get Eli breakfast
Noah gets up and eats breakfast
Kids play while I clean up breakfast and start laundry
read with the kids/do a craft/work on skills
Snack for the kids
Eli goes down for nap
playtime for Noah while I do the housework
Lunch for the kids/Eli is up
laundry/clean up lunch
sit with Noah and play for a few minutes
Nap time for Noah
Entertain Eli since Noah is sleeping and can't!
Eli goes down for second nap
20 minutes to eat my lunch/do housework/relax
Noah is up
Eli gets up
Snack time for everyone
Play while I start dinner/work on laundry/housework
daycare kids start leaving
Dinner
bathtime
story time
bedtime
clean up dinner
relax a few minutes
bedtime for me!

So yeah. I'm not "just a stay at home mom".

3 comments:

Kim said...

I saw this email awhile ago that was talking about if you took everything that a SAHM does you would have to pay her something like 150 grand a year if you were to hire staff to do it.

Michelle said...

So true! I too catch myself saying "oh, I just stay home with the kids"...so I love when DH says things when people ask if I work or if I stay home, he responds, "she works at home"...or when people say, oh, she doesn't work, he says, "yes, she does, she stays home with the kids!" YAY hubby!

Amanda said...

:) I believe it Kim! Now if only someone would pay me for it.....

And Michelle that's great. It's fun, and rewarding, but it's not easy...especially when you just need a break and have no one to cover it for you :)