Into eating veggies that is...and really Noah is the only one that needs to be tricked :) as Eli eats anything...whenever he can.
As a mom to a picky eater, I am always looking for good ideas for new ways to hide veggies, so I thought maybe I would share mine.
1. I use a cheese grater to finely shred carrots and add it to just about any hamburger dish
2. Use sweet potato baby food and add a tablespoon to yogurt. You can buy yobaby yogurt with sweet potato added...but it's cheaper to buy store brand yogurt and add the sweet potato yourself. I also add a little sweet potato puree to his oatmeal, applesauce, and pancakes. If you can get it really good and runny (which is much easier if you buy stage 1 babyfood rather than using homemade baby food) you can add a little to juice.
3. When making things like sloppy joes, I add a can or two of V8 veggie juice in addition to shredded carrots. This wont add a lot of veggie to a serving...but it wont hurt! I love using the spicy V8 in spaghetti too!
4. Mix in spaghetti squash with regular spaghetti noodles. Noah will not eat spaghetti squash on its own, but if I mix some in with regular spaghetti noodles he eats it.
5. While this is the least healthy trick...it is another way to add in some of the nutrients from veggies! I buy the chips (like potato chips) that are made from radishes, carrots and sweet potato. They are still fried like regular chips, so not exactly the healthiest choice, but definitely a better option than regular chips.
I have found it is a lot harder to add green veggies to a dish without altering the flavor too much so I mostly hide things like carrots, sweet potato and squash. Occasionally I will cook in some fresh collard greens to a dish too, but too much and he (and my hubby) will refuse to eat it!
I hope this post helps someone with a picky eater! Please feel free to comment with some tricks you use to get your picky eaters to take in some veggies!
Monday, January 10, 2011
How I trick my children.
Posted by Amanda at 8:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
For the green vegis, I have found that I can hide spinach in about anything, it takes on the flavor of most foods. After doing it for so long my kids will actually eat it raw now.
If you are doing a cream based soup/sauce, you can do with the spinach, or chopped broccoli (I use only the flower and chop it pretty fine)
As much as I hate Kate+8 she had a very good point, keep putting it on his plate, one day he will eat it. It has held true for Jade, my very picky eater who hates anything green. She will now at least eat one or two bites.
Post a Comment