Monday, January 27, 2014

Leaps and Bounds.

Isaiah has made tremendous gains in his speech in the past month.  He's like a whole new kid!  I think things are staring to 'click' in his mind, and we are hearing proof of that!  His word count has greatly expanded this month and we are hearing:

*up, down, mommy, daddy, milk, cheese, yogurt, baba (he's saying brother, but he uses it only for Noah), Ali (for Eli), ouch, owie, all-done, uh-uh (no), mine, ball, uh-oh, shoes, go, book, baby, puppy, nigh-night, cookie, phone, hi, bye, want, bite, and cold are the words I can think of, but there are probably a couple that just aren't coming to mind that he uses unprompted.  He can also repeat a few names if we prompt him, and we are hearing more mimicked words that he will use while we work with him, but we don't hear them again…but he's getting there!

He is also now using 2, 2 word phrases.  "daddy bye-bye" and "Want ____" which is just amazing.

Last week Isaiah was evaluated for occupational therapy services.  His fine motor skills have never been too terribly delayed, but he has some sensory issues (mostly food and comfort related) so we will be starting OT next week to work on some self calming strategies.  Unlike most children, Isaiah never learned to self sooth, so when he is upset or wakes up during the night, he is unable to calm himself or fall back asleep on his own.  His new OT thinks his inability to calm himself may be related to a difficulty in understanding object permanence, as well as related to his sensory seeking (he very much needs to be held and cuddled throughout the day, and needs much more physical touch than the average kiddo) so that's what we will be focusing on.  He has a hard time being away from me, so we will work on some strategies to help with his separation anxieties as well.

In physical therapy Isaiah is working on improving his walking skills.  He still tottles all over the place but has a little trouble navigating toys or other objects on the floor.  He is also working on balance, and throwing balls, and once his balance improves we will start working on kicking.  Also, Isaiah has never tried to bounce or jump (even as a baby he never tried to bounce when held, in a jumperoo, or even in his crib) so eventually we will start trying to get some of those skills to emerge.

With the addition of private therapy for PT, OT and speech, Isaiah has anywhere from 3-5 therapy appointments a week.  Most now come to our home (all except OT) and we have been very happy with the willingness of our private PT and SLP to come out to the house for therapy because it makes life much easier for me, and Isaiah does so much better in his own environment.  I have been so proud of not only Isaiah, but his big brothers as well.  I know they don't have a typical childhood at the moment, and they get dragged around often for appointments and I'm so grateful for their patience and flexibility on days we have a lot going on.

I've recently decided to re do the boys rooms this winter.  I have been wanting to switch their rooms for awhile now, and I am finally going to get it done in the next few weeks.  Both rooms are about the same size, but Isaiah's is maybe slightly larger, and the layout is better for 2 kids sharing.  We are going to switch out the toddler beds for twin beds and move Noah and Eli into what is now Isaiah's room, and move the crib and our spare bed into the big boy's room.  We briefly thought about getting them bunk beds, but anyone who knows Eli knows that's just an emergency room visit in the making, so twin beds next to each other it is!  Isaiah's current room is also the coldest room in the house, and since he won't keep a blanket on during the night, it will be nice for him to be in the warmer room and give Noah and Eli the colder room since they both like to cuddle under blankets anyway :) I'm very excited to do this for Noah and Eli!  We always make sure the big boys get plenty of time and attention, but still, so much focus is on getting Isaiah what he needs so I very much enjoy doing special things for Noah and Eli, and I can't wait to see their faces when they see what I have in mind for them!

And speaking of Noah and Eli, both boys are doing well.  Noah is reading very well these days, and can read most early reader books with no trouble at all!   I'm so proud of him!  He is also quite the artist and loves to sit and draw.  Eli is looking forward to his 4th birthday in a few weeks. He loves building things right now, so he spends a lot of time in his room with his legos.  We are working on writing his name right now.  He can write all his letters, so he's good with making an E, L and I…but he's not convinced that they should always be in the correct order, so some days he's an Ile rather than an Eli :)

That's about all I've got for an update.  I'm in survival mode until spring, and cannot wait to get some warmer weather.  It's been so cold this year and we've had too many days being cooped up inside.  We've made do with a half dozen trips to the Children's Museum this month, but it's no substitute for fresh air and sunshine!  I'll be so happy to see spring!


2 comments:

Brittnie said...

He is making awesome progress! My daughter has some sensory issues and OT has helped tremendously in desensitizing some of these. I'm sure it will be great for Isaiah!

Amanda said...

Glad to hear someone else has seen success with OT! I always love to hear about other's positive experiences. :)